Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Next Generation of Marketing Professionals are on the Way

This week I had the pleasure of speaking to a couple of marketing classes at my alma mater -- Illinois State University.

My task was simply to share my career path with them in an effort to give them a glimpse of what can happen after graduation.

One of the things we touched on was creativity in your career -- because careers are not necessarily as streamlined as they were before. And, they are not always a straight line to retirement, as they once were.

I told the students about my career plan -- to start in the corporate world and gain experience, credibility and certifications. Then to launch a consulting business after having children that would allow me to be home with my children most of the time. (So far, so good!)

I showed them a few of the most fun projects I've worked on, such as the Million Dollar Coupon and the KUA annual reports. These were great examples of how the digital world is changing the fields of marketing and public relations.

I also shared with them how networking, volunteering and doing internships helped me get to where I am now. Living my dream.

It was such a fun experience, and I was really impressed by the students I spoke with. If anyone needs a few good marketing interns, let me know, and I'll get you in touch with the Marketing Department at ISU.

No comments:

Post a Comment